About Las Colinas
Las Colinas is a community that is rich in local Texas history and pioneered the weekend getaway. The story begins with the Carpenter family, who lived in the Highland Park neighborhood of Dallas. In 1928, the family purchased a ranch about 15 minutes from their home to use as a weekend retreat. Mrs. Carpenter named the property, “El Ranchito de las Colinas,” translated as “The Little Ranch of the Hills.” The ranch was the family’s favorite place to relax, connect and enjoy the beautiful Texas landscape.
After Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport was announced in 1968, the Carpenter family recognized that their nearby land would be ideal as a business community. In 1972, they announced plans to convert their ranch into the first master-planned commercial development in the United States.